A facelift is an effective and efficient way of dealing with loose, sagging skin that’s caused by ageing. While the results of a facelift are generally pleasing and can last for a long time, its success is largely dependent on the aftercare routine that the patient follows after the procedure. Artiste Plastic Surgery shares some tips to help you get optimal results after your facelift surgery.
Facelift Post-Operative Care Tips
If it’s your first time undergoing a facelift in Sydney, it’s important to know the special care requirements after the surgery to ensure that your healing process goes smoothly. Here are some handy tips to keep in mind:
- Your facial dressing must always be worn around the treated area to minimise any swelling
- Applying ice packs and heat pads to reduce the swelling is not advisable, as they can cause tissue loss and scarring. Only apply ice at the direction of the surgeon.
- Make sure you shower regularly to keep the incisions clean
- Avoid exerting yourself or indulging in activities that may increase blood pressure. Consult your doctor to determine when you will be able to resume normal physical exercises, but these can generally be continued 3 weeks after the surgery
- Make sure you have adequate rest in the first two days after the procedure and that you keep your head elevated in the lying position
- Avoid smoking as it can restrict blood supply to the healing tissues, thus prolonging your healing stage
- Apply sunscreen generously when stepping out to avoid sunburns as this can cause swelling and permanent damage. Make sure to do this for a year after the procedure.
The Recovery Timeline
The facelift cost and recovery time vary per patient, but generally, for people in good health, noticeable swelling and redness are reduced within 10 days after the procedure. In fact, most patients are able to go back to work 2 weeks after their facelift surgery in Sydney. Keep in mind, however, that although your scars may look healed on the outside, they may not be fully healed on the inside. Facelifts are major plastic surgeries, and as with any major procedure, it requires a lengthy recovery process.
Why Undergo a Facelift?
One of the top reasons patients undergo a facelift is to reverse the signs of ageing by tightening loose skin and wrinkles. As seen in facelift surgery before and after results, this is one of the best and most effective long term solutions for combating the signs of ageing.
Aside from its anti-ageing benefit, what is a facelift used for? Some patients undergo the procedure to sculpt and define facial features such as the jowls, the jawline and the neck. By trimming and tucking sagging skin and improving the natural contours of the face, a facelift can give a person a more youthful and refreshed appearance.
Because it is a major surgery, you may be wondering how long does a facelift last and if it’s worth investing in. Facelifts serve as a simple solution for individuals that are concerned about the process and effects of ageing and need help in boosting their confidence. You can expect the effects of a facelift to last for up to ten years, so you won’t have to worry about repeat procedures.
If you want to reap the benefits of a facelift, but unsure if the surgery is right for you, schedule a consultation with Artiste Plastic Surgery, the most recommended facelift surgeon in Sydney. We can help you fully understand the procedure and its results and provide you with the best services to address your needs. Our neck lift and Artiste skin packages can also address the problems associated with ageing. Contact us today at 02 9327 1700 to learn more.