Wrinkles, sagging skin and deep facial lines are all part of the natural ageing process. While most people welcome the changes on their face, if you would like to preserve your youthful appearance and prevent facial ageing, it’s best to consult a professional cosmetic surgeon like Dr. Jack Zoumaras of Artiste Plastic Surgery.
Aside from reaching out to the experts, here are a few things you can do to help prevent the early signs of facial ageing:
Staying out of the Sun
Australia is blessed with sunny days and gorgeous beaches, but we need to act against the harmful UV light. Not only does sun damage lead to skin cancers but it also leads to premature ageing. Solar elastosis is common in sun exposed skin and leads to wrinkling, blotching and weakness of the skin. Remember cover up and “slip, slop and slap”
Eating a Balanced Diet
A diet that is made up of essential vitamins and nutrients helps your cells maintain a homeostatic balance that prevents free radical damage.
Fresh food as opposed to processed and refined food
Eat in moderation…a small amount of chocolate is okay, especially dark
Part of a health lifestyle is regular physical activity
Helps to lower blood pressure and improve blood flow to your skin
It is important to drink 2-3 litres of water a day to maintain your skin’s hydration.
Stress can lead to high blood pressure
Stress causes an increase in free radical production which damages cells and the skin
How you deal with stress is an individual thing (meditate, be in touch with your spiritual side, reading, relaxation)
Controlling your stress will counter ageing
It is no secret that those under the strain of significant life events age
Non-Surgical Anti-Ageing Solutions at Artiste Plastic Surgery
- Anti-Wrinkle Injections – The use of toxins are a great way to start reversing and preventing facial wrinkles. From a subtle lift to the brow to an elimination of forehead lines, anti wrinkle injections can freshen and begin the age reversal.
- Chemical Peel – A controlled chemical reaction applied to the skin in a lunch time procedure will freshen your look. Depending on how much down time you have a medium to deep peel can be used to help with fine lines, blotchiness and pigmentation. We offer chemical peels as part of our skin rejuvenation treatment.
- Dermal Fillers – The use of collagen substitutes such as Hyaluronic Acid (Juvederm, Restylane etc) can fill medium to fine lines on the face. They can also be used to correct the dark shadows under the eye. This is suitable for both younger and older patients. Dermal fillers of course are the most popular way to augment the lips.
- Skin Tightening – Do you have some loose skin or want a lift but not ready for surgery? Ultherapy skin tightening could be for you. Using ultrasound technology the Ulthera device heats up the deep layers of facial skin to encourage the formation of new collagen that tightens the skin envelope.
- Dermabrasion – Dermabrasion is the physical removal of skin cells with a diamond burr instrument that unveils the formation of new skin with fewer lines.
Disclaimer: At Artiste Plastic Surgery, our Plastic Surgeons led by Dr Jack Zoumaras have been trained to the highest possible degree. All surgery has risks and it is always advised to get a second opinion. Risks are very real and we cannot guarantee any result. Results are illustrated as a guide only. All risks are managed and any need for revision surgery or complications (1-5%) can be managed by our specialist plastic surgeons.
Any statements on how you will feel is based on Level V Evidence:
Level V: How you will feel after plastic surgery varies between individuals, depending on psychological and physical factors. Our internal research is based on how patients in our practice feel after surgery.
The blogs are not a substitute for a medical consultation and do not form as part of the doctor to patient relationship.