Ways in Which the Breasts Can Be Uneven
Breast asymmetry can manifest in different ways. Most commonly, the breasts will differ noticeably in size. Depending on the woman’s anatomy and preferences, she may feel that one breast is a good size while the other is too large or perhaps that one breast is a good size while the other is too small. In some cases, women wish that one of their breasts were smaller and the other were larger. Whatever the case may be, differently sized breasts are the most common form of breast asymmetry. Breasts may also be asymmetrical in shape or position on the chest. Nipple position and breast firmness may also be uneven.
Causes of Breast Asymmetry
Breasts can be uneven for many reasons, such as the following:
- Tuberous or Constricted Breasts: With tuberous or constricted breast deformity, the breasts do not form properly from birth. One breast may appear constricted, lack volume, and have a puffy or bulging areola.
- Poland Sequence: Poland Sequence is a congenital deformity in the chest wall and upper limb that causes the breasts to form asymmetrically.
- Other Medical Deformities and Conditions: Other deformities, medical conditions, cysts, and lumps may cause uneven breasts.
- Hormones: Hormones during puberty may cause the breasts to form at different rates and to develop into different sizes.
- Injuries: Traumatic injuries, particularly during breast development, may interfere with healthy breast growth so that the breasts appear uneven.
- Pregnancy and Breastfeeding: The natural breast volume loss after pregnancy and breastfeeding may not occur to the same degree in both breasts, which may cause breast asymmetry later on.
- Breast Surgeries: A poorly performed breast procedure, particularly breast augmentation, is yet another cause of uneven breasts. Unexpected surgical complications such as capsular contracture or implant rupture can also cause breast asymmetry.
Plastic Surgery for Breast Asymmetry
Plastic surgery for breast asymmetry may include breast reduction, breast augmentation, breast lift, breast reshaping, or a combination of these techniques. Dr Zoumaras will analyse your breasts and the cause of their asymmetry to determine the best course of action to correct their unevenness. Different causes or manifestations of breast asymmetry will need different treatments. For example, tuberous and constricted breasts will require breast reshaping, nipple shaping, and breast implants, potentially with multiple procedures. Some women may need breast augmentation for both breasts but with different implant sizes and styles. Others may need breast augmentation on one side and breast reduction on the other. Still, others may need a partial breast lift and breast augmentation to correct breast asymmetry. Dr Zoumaras will determine which procedures will be best for you.
Plastic surgery to improve breast asymmetry will restore a more balanced and aesthetically pleasing appearance to your breasts so that you can look and feel more confident in your figure. To schedule your consultation for breast asymmetry correction with Dr Zoumaras, please call 02 9327 1700 or fill out our online contact form today.